This box contains important information regarding accommodations during CreteLing 2023.
Please read it carefully
There are two options available to you: Private accommodation rentals or a University dorm.
- Private accommodation rentals: Airbnb.com, booking.com or similar. Last year all CreteLingers took this option because there were no available dorms. This choice will give you more options with respect to the price and luxury level of your accommodations. Other advantages are that the rental will come with its own kitchen, and will also provide you with pots, pans, plates and cutlery, as well as sheets and towels.
- University dorms: the university has two dormitories: Gallos and Xenia. Gallos is on campus but will not be available to us this summer because of scheduled renovations. Xenia will be available to us. What you need to know about Xenia dorms:
- It is not on campus. It is in the downtown of Rethymno city.
- The rooms are double (two single beds). You will be given the option to choose your roommate, if a friend of yours has been assigned a dorm room as well. If you don’t do that, you will be assigned a roommate by us randomly. If you want a single room, you will have to find one through a private rental.
- Each room has its own bathroom (toilet/shower). No hair-dryer is provided. If you need one, please bring your own, or buy one locally (regarding voltage issues with appliances please consult Practical Info page).
- No room has its own kitchen. There are communal kitchens on each floor, i.e. one kitchen for 10 rooms/20 people. You would have to bring your own pots and pans, plates, cutlery.
- Students should bring their own linen, that is, a pair of sheets, a pillow-case, and towels. Pillows will be provided by the summer school.
- Students will be responsible for cleaning their own linen during their stay.
- Cleaning personnel will clean the common spaces. Students are responsible for the cleanliness of their bedrooms.
- Laundry facilities will be available.
- In case you prefer a private rental or if you are on the dorm waiting list, the application form will give you the possibility to add your name and email address to an off-campus accommodations list, which will circulate (only) among its members. This will permit you to find other CreteLingers with who you can share a private rental.
- Finally, we have to emphasize that the Xenia dorm does not have many rooms and we will assign them only to those who apply by the early deadline (April 5). If you are interested in a Xenia room, make sure you apply by the early deadline. Please know that those who will be assigned a Xenia room, will be given an earlier payment deadline than the rest. The Xenia rooms will be assigned to whoever pays within the payment deadline mentioned in the acceptance letter.